HealthNet Medical Assistant Training Program
Get started debt free in a career in health care! HealthNet partners with the National Institute of Medical Assistant Advancement (NIMAA) to train individuals interested in pursuing a career as a Medical Assistant (MA).
In only 8 months you could be prepared for a rewarding career in community health. The $6,970 tuition cost will be fully covered by HealthNet for students who agree to work for HeathNet for a minimum of 2 years. Students will be hired to work part-time as a registration specialist at HealthNet during the training.
- 8 month long part-time program, including flexible online learning and hands-on clinical experience across four terms
- Online work is estimated at 21 hours per week, depending on each student’s pace
- On-site clinical experience begins right away, with 12 hours a week of training at one of HealthNet’s nine community health center locations.
- 4 hours weekly skills practice at our Health Education Center with a HealthNet Health Education skills coach
- 1 hour per week of National Synchronous Session and Huddles with NIMAA instructor and skills coach, typically via online interactive discussions
- 4 interactive weeks with no clinical hours used for student case studies
- Preparation for Medical Assistant Certification
- NIMAA’s graduation rate is 89%
- Learn more
- Must be 18 years of age or older
- Proof of a high school diploma, GED or equivalent
- Valid proof of identification
- Proficient in verbal and written English
- Must sign a 2 year mandatory employment agreement
- Must show proof of immunizations (Td/Tdap, Chicken pox, MMR, Flu, and PPD/BAMT, Hep B) and COVID-19 vaccination or a medical or religious exemption
- Must work part-time at HealthNet as a registration specialist or other appropriate role while in training.
- Not required but highly recommended that student have regular access to computer and internet
- If offer is made, student will need to submit to a background check conducted by NIMAA
- Application fee: $25 (non-refundable) – paid by student
- Tuition, fees, books and materials, exam fee: $6,970*
*Fully covered by HealthNet for students who agree to work for HealthNet for a minimum of 2 years upon graduation.
The NIMAA program runs for 29 weeks or about eight months and begins September 5, 2023, wrapping up with graduation on May 1, 2024. Students who successfully complete the course will have the opportunity to sit for the NHA exam in April 2024.
Applications for the Fall 2023 will open March 15. Please check back for updates!
Applications for the Spring 2024 Cohort: Opens September 6, 2023
HealthNet is hosting two virtual information sessions about the program. Anyone is welcome to attend.
Tuesday, March 21, 2023 12-1 p.m. EDT
Join Zoom Meeting
Meeting ID: 882 3280 4239
Call In Only: 312-626-6799
Tuesday, April 4, 2023 12-1 p.m. EDT
Join Zoom Meeting
Meeting ID: 889 5824 1977
Call-In Only: 312-626-6799
Call NIMAA at (720) 710-9050, email their admissions team at email@example.com. You may also reach out to HealthNet at HR@indyhealthnet.org.
The National Institute for Medical Assistant Advancement (NIMAA) is a nonprofit education institute that trains Medical Assistants to work effectively in today’s high-performing primary care settings. Students gain hands-on learning in leading primary care clinics, including HealthNet.
HealthNet currently trains more than 75 health care students and professionals each year, making it a leader in medical education. HealthNet is a nationally-recognized community health center with a respected 55-year history of providing high-quality, comprehensive health care to all members of the family. HealthNet now serves more than 60,000 patients at 10 state-of-the art health centers across Central Indiana in Marion, Monroe and Morgan counties.